Línea Abierta : BIRTH CONTROL BATTLE.
- Title: BIRTH CONTROL BATTLE.
- Guest: Cecilia Muñoz
- Additional Guests: Maria Elena Perez, Susana Juarez-Leal, Bishop Jaime Soto
- Host: Chelis López
- Date: MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2012
- Description: BIRTH CONTROL BATTLE. Catholic bishops say birth control should not be considered preventive care.
- Genre: News
- Location: Oakland, CA
- Program Number: 6618
- Producer: Samuel Orozco
- Progam Number: 6618
- Publisher: Radio Bilingüe
- Rights: Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License
- Subject: Health, Politics
- Year: 2012
- Program Name: la_120220.mp3
- Length: 59:06 minutes (54.12 MB)
- Format: Mono 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)
BIRTH CONTROL BATTLE. Catholic bishops say birth control should not be considered preventive care, and the requirement under the Affordable Care Act that employers provide health insurance for employees that includes birth control overrides religious institutions’ constitutional rights. President Obama has agreed to allow Catholic hospitals and universities opt out from paying for birth control for their employees, putting the burden on health insurance companies. Many Catholic citizens have applauded the agreement, saying most Catholic women use birth control at some time in their lives.
Guests: Cecilia Muñoz, Director of Domestic Policy Council, White House, Washington, D.C., http://www.whitehouse.gov/administration/eop/dpc ; Maria Elena Perez, Deputy Director, National Latina Institute for Reproductive Health, New York, NY, http://latinainstitute.org/ ; Susana Juarez-Leal, Nurse, Catholic Democrats, San Antonio, TX, www.catholicdemocrats.org ; Bishop Jaime Soto, Diocese of Sacramento, Sacramento, CA, www.diocese-sacramento.org