Línea Abierta : WHO CONTROLS THE NET?
- Title: WHO CONTROLS THE NET?
- Guest: Edyael Casaperalta
- Additional Guests: Mygnon Clyburn, Manny Diaz, Milena Velis.
- Host: Chelis López
- Date: TUESDAY, AUGUST 17, 2010
- Description: WHO CONTROLS THE NET? The Internet is founded in the concept of network neutrality, which guarantees that all information posted on the internet is treated equally and is available to everyone.
- Genre: News
- Location: San Francisco, CA
- Program Number: 6182
- Producer: Samuel Orozco
- Progam Number: 6182
- Publisher: Radio Bilingüe
- Rights: Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License
- Subject: Education, Economic Development
- Year: 2010
- Program Name: la_100817.mp3
- Length: 59:05 minutes (54.1 MB)
- Format: Mono 44kHz 128Kbps (CBR)
WHO CONTROLS THE NET? The Internet is founded in the concept of network neutrality, which guarantees that all information posted on the internet is treated equally and is available to everyone. Yet cable and phone companies that provide broadband service are attempting to be able to buy and sell the privilege to make some online content available more quickly than the rest. What does this mean for Latino internet users who already face the challenge of the digital divide? This program is part of our series “Conéctate,” on the internet and the digital divide.
Guests: Edyael Casaperalta, Program Associate, Center for Rural Strategies, Elsa, TX, www.ruralstrategies.org/ ; Mygnon Clyburn, Commissioner, Federal Communications Commission, Washington D.C. www.fcc.gov ; Manny Diaz, Vice Chair, Alliance for Digital Equality, Miami, FL, http://www.alliancefordigitalequality.org/contact.php ; Milena Velis, Organizer, Media Mobilizing Project, Philadelphia, PA, http://mediamobilizingproject.org